Recovery from an injury can be a difficult ordeal. There are the expenses associated with medical treatment and the subsequent rehabilitation program. There may be missed time at work. Recovery can be a difficult time mentally, including symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder and the loss of enjoyment. When the injury a person suffers is the fault of someone else’s negligence, the injured party has the right to a financial settlement that addresses all of the above and more. Our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers are here to fight for fairness and the settlement our clients deserve.
Beall & Thies has served the Baton Rouge community for over 20 years and our lawyers have composite experience of over 100 years. Let us handle your personal injury case. Call today at (225) 577-6223 or contact us online to set up a consultation.
"Never expected to be in a predicament where I would need to hire an attorney but, I wouldn’t recommend anyone but, B&T. They helped my father in his predicament and they’ve helped me in mine. Continuous support throughout the entire process"Den'a Wells
"They are professional and go above and beyond customer satisfaction. I was informed every step of the way on updates and case progress. I highly recommend this firm for all your legal needs!! I am thankful for all they have done for me!!"Barb Nemerovsky
"Beall & Thies was very welcoming. I would definitely recommend them. My attorney, Aaron Humphrey didn’t only make sure I didn’t have to worry about my case, but also treated me like I mattered. Thanks for everything you guys did for me and "Chrystal Woods Graham
$5.5 Million Verdict
Drunk Driver Crosses Median - Kills Family
What started the high-speed game of “ Cat and Mouse” will never be publically known. What is known is the drivers of two vehicles became indifferent to the rules of the road and began participating a road rage incident that lasted for almost ten miles. It was a night along I-12 in Baton Rouge that will never be forgotten.
$1.6 Million Verdict
Truck Pulls Down Low Hanging Wire
Our client was a 31 year old single mother who was traveling I-12 west near the Essen Lane Overpass. As she approached the overpass, an 18-wheeler contacted and tore down a low hanging wire causing it to become entangled in her car and violently pulled her car sideways. The wire then snapped from it’s mounting on a pole and repeatedly whipped about eventually totaling her car.
$1.4 Million Settlement
Defective Drug Results in Death
Our client was a 28 yr old widow who had one child and was pregnant with another. Her husband had been in great physical shape, was active in sports, but did have a history of low back pain for which he was prescribed and took a specific medication. One evening, he awoke with bad chest pains and suddenly went into cardiac arrest. As our client was a registered nurse, she attempted CPR on her husband while awaiting for emergency medical responders. Unfortunately, the young man passed away.
$1.4 Million Settlement
Fatigued 18 Wheeler Driver Kills Mother
It has happened to us all – car trouble. We do what we are supposed to do and move to the shoulder. We call for help and wait. While waiting, we watch drivers speeding past us. We trust they are considering our safety and that all will be fine until help arrives. We especially trust the professional drivers of big trucks to operate and control their vehicles in a manner that will keep us from harm.
$1.3 Million Settlement
Illegal Left Turn Causes Death
Our client was a law enforcement officer who responded to a traffic accident on I-12. As EMS responders provided aid to the victims, the officer began directing traffic through the accident scene and into an open lane of travel. It was a rainy dark evening and the officer had his yellow reflective suit on and was holding his flashlight to direct traffic.
$1.2 Million Settlement
"Muscle Car" Hydroplanes & Crashes into RV
In testimony she referred to it as a “muscle car”. So, it came as no surprise to us that when a young girl decided to execute a dangerous lane change, she lost control of her “muscle car” causing it to collide with a local family’s RV. Out of control on a wet surface, the Camaro slid at highway speed and slammed into our clients’ motorhome. One moment the motorhome is returning from a family outing, and the next moment it was sent into a violent spin, where it almost began flipping. While the Dad was...
Even in cases where it seems like fault is cut-and-dried, it still takes good methodical, legal legwork to establish negligence on the part of the defendant. Louisiana law requires that four elements be present for negligence to exist. All four of these elements must be proven or there is no case. Legally establishing negligence in the comprehensive manner required by Louisiana law is the job of the plaintiff’s attorney.
What to Do After Suffering an Injury
Even if someone thinks they’re okay, it’s still important to get medical attention right away. Injuries to the back and neck might take days to manifest themselves. Even a concussion might not be immediately apparent. The most important reason to do this is for one’s own physical being. But it’s also important for any future legal proceedings. Failure to get medical attention can result in the defendant’s lawyers making the argument that the injury was not connected to the accident.
It's also important to adopt a posture of silence. A person should not go on social media and offer any assurances of being okay, for all the reasons noted above. And above all, an injured party should not agree to an insurance company’s initial offer without consulting their lawyer.
The sooner an attorney can be brought into the picture, the better the injured plaintiff’s advocacy efforts can be. Furthermore, the state of Louisiana has a 1-year statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit. The clock starts ticking on either the date of the injury or the point at which the plaintiff could have been reasonably be expected to have been aware of a late developing injury.
Experienced Baton Rouge Personal Injury Lawyers Who Can Help
With over 20 years of experience as a firm, and individual experience among our attorneys exceeding a century, Beall & Thies has been through plenty of legal battles, including in cases involving the following:
- Car Accidents: Issues of breach, causation, and comparative negligence are common in car accident cases. We’ll investigate everything from the police reports to the witness testimony in fighting to make our client’s case.
- Catastrophic Injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord or brain, along with severe burn injuries are devastating and life-altering. The financial settlement must reflect all of that, and damages can be more far-reaching than many people realize. We understand all that has to be considered in crafting a fair settlement.
- Truck Accidents: The nature of the trucking industry can make identifying who is liable more difficult than a standard car accident case. Our lawyers understand how to investigate all facets of an accident and the operation of the trucking company to pinpoint the right defendant, and then fight for a fair outcome.
- Dog Bites: At Beall & Thies, we’re confident that no law firm loves dogs more than we do—we have up to three in the office at any given time. That also means we have a deep sense of our responsibility as dog owners, and we don’t like it when that responsibility is breached by others. If you’ve been bitten, you have rights. We’ll fight for them.
- Wrongful Death: When a person dies, their absence can leave a big hole in a family. There’s the loss of counsel, of companionship and friendship. There’s the loss of the income they might have earned. The family has the right to bring a lawsuit and get some fair level of compensation for all that was lost.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcyclists are owed a duty of care on the road, the same as the drivers of a car are. Furthermore, the nature of motorcycles can mean the injuries they suffer are more severe. The fault can also lie with a government agency if roads were not properly maintained. Let Beall & Thies do the legal heavy lifting in the work for a fair settlement.
- Product Liability: These cases take extensive investigation to determine if the negligence happened in design, assembly, or marketing. We’ve got the experience necessary to know how to do that investigative work.
- Premises Liability: Whether it’s a residence of a business, the owner has a responsibility to maintain their property in a way that makes it safe for visitors. We’ll work clients to get the information needed to show breach, causation, and damages.
When you’ve been injured, you need to know your lawyer has your back. Beall & Thies welcomes the opportunity to do the investigating, negotiating, and litigating that it will take to fight for a fair settlement.
Personal Injury FAQs
How Much is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
The Louisiana average for personal injury settlements is $95,000, which is more than double the national average. Of course, some cases will be worth considerably more than that, while others will be worth less. Our Baton Rouge personal injury lawyers can get a better gauge on the potential value of your case after we sit down and talk.
Will I Have to Go to Court?
The vast majority of personal injury cases—over 95 percent—are settled out of court. A negotiated settlement is often best for all parties. It’s important to note however, that the willingness to go to court to get a fair settlement can be a powerful negotiating tool. So can having an experienced attorney that the opposing side respects. The issue is how to get a settlement that’s fair to the injured plaintiff. We always hope that can be done with reasonable negotiations. We’re prepared to use litigation if the opposing insurance company insists on being intransigent.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?
The first response from the insurance company usually comes within 30 days after the plaintiff’s lawyer submits a settlement proposal. How long it takes after that depends on how far apart the two sides are. The complexity of the settlement will also impact the timeline. Developing a fair settlement on a catastrophic injury may take more time than working out a good offer on a dog bite case. Every case is different, and we can offer more insight after hearing the details of each specific case.