When Do You Need to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
When you’ve been in a car accident, you may find yourself wondering whether or not you should hire a personal injury attorney to represent you. In Baton Rouge, you may have noticed that personal injury lawyers are all over the city, encouraging anyone who’s been in an accident to call them as soon as possible. In many cases the reason for this is that you may be entitled to compensation depending on your circumstances.
Why Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
When some people get into a car accident, they might choose to file a personal injury claim against the other party’s insurance company themselves. If you’ve got the time and basic knowledge to research the legal process, this could be an option for you. If you’re like most people you’ll likely want to work with an attorney who specializes in personal injury claims, especially when facing insurance companies who generally have a team of lawyers representing them.
The insurance company brings a team of attorneys to help them reduce the overall amount of compensation they pay out or in some cases, to dismiss the claim entirely. With an attorney on your side, you’ll have the same level of expertise in your corner advocating for you and your rights. If you’re facing any of the following, working with a personal injury attorney may be a good option:
- Expensive medical bills and on-going treatments as a result of the accident
- Suffered extreme injury or death (of a loved one) as a result of the accident
- Missed extensive time at work, resulting in lost wages
Tips for Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
Not all lawyers are the same, and while some may have fantastic commercials, that doesn’t always mean you’ll be getting the best representation. It’s important to do your due diligence and find an attorney with the experience and track record necessary to help you with your claim.
- Act quickly, your claim depends on it: Depending on your situation, there could be a statute of limitations that requires the claims process begins as soon as possible
- Hire an attorney that specializes in personal injury cases: Make sure the attorney you’re working with is experienced with not only personal injury cases, but car accidents
- Find an attorney who can be dedicated to your case: Billboards can get your attention, but will you get your attorneys? Make sure you work with an attorney that spends more time working on your case than they do bringing in new clients
- Be comfortable with the person you choose: In the end, you need to feel comfortable working with the person you hire to represent you. If you don’t feel like you can trust your attorney, it’s time to look for other options.
While it’s important to act quickly when you’ve been in an accident, make sure to do your due diligence and find an attorney that will be focused on you first.